Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trepidation about Netflix selection

I am finding that I am especially anxious about my Netflix selection that is slated to arrive tomorrow. It is the movie Happy Endings, which is classified as a Independent/Romance/Comedy/Gay-Lesbian movie. It has Lisa Kudrow and Maggie Gyllenhaal, who I normally like, but it is described as "a series of connected vignettes". That choice of phrase makes me a little nervous about the film. Add to that that one of the vignettes is described thusly: "a gay man discovers that his partner may (or may not) be the father of their friend's baby".

Now, I don't have anything against a movie that has gay romance in it. My problem with it is that in this day and age, it seems like every movie with gay romance is trying to do for homosexual on-screen romance what Guess Who's Coming to Dinner did for inter-racial on-screen romance. These days, only the most conservative kooks think anything of it when a black and white couple is seen on TV or in a movie, but when you put two men or two women together, it gets some attention.

I remember in my twelfth-grade English class, I learnt that nothing is ever colored red unless it symbolizes something (red blood, a rose, a red dress, red drapes, etc.). Movies are the same way right now--No one is ever gay, unless it means something. I don't think I have seen any movies that had a gay character that didn't have some huge aspect of the plot hinge on that character's sexuality. I really think that is sad. I look forward to someday when movies can have characters who turn out to be gay or straight without their sexual identity being a major plot point. Sadly, movies these days are not able to have characters with gay relationships without being about gay relationships.

I am kind of burnt out on serious thought about this issue after #amazonfail, so I really hope that Happy Endings will not be too much about gay relationships, but given the desciption, I don't really see that happening. And that raises another point...

Why do so many movies that depict gay relationships involve one of the partners either just discovering that they prefer the same sex or cheating with the opposite sex? That is just another face of the problem that movies so far cannot have gay relationships without being about gay relationships, and apparently a great number of filmmakers think that without including heterosexuality as a contrast they won't appeal to the "mainstream audience". I don't get it at all.

If anyone actually reads this, and they know of any movies that involve gay relationships without becoming some kind of preachy thing about homosexuality, let me know. Any gay or lesbian romance or romantic comedy that isn't about homosexuality but is just a movie where the characters happen to be of the same gender...I don't think it exists yet, but if it does, and you know about it, let me know. I would love to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment